Tuesday 4 October 2011

Haramaya

“Forenji. Here. Computer for you. All same. All good get.” I smile at the college student with the key. He nods at the room full of HPs and he goes back to dozing in front of his sports show on the television. It’s hard to believe I’m finally here, on campus. Figure I might as well write a blog entry.

I started today in Dire Dawa. DD as it’s commonly abbreviated is about what I expected to find here. Dusty streets filled with old walls, new shanties, beggars and merchants. Hot, savannah, and filled with mysterious alleyways and sites. At the aiport, black and white furry monkeys stared at us as we got our luggage.

Addis Ababa, where I landed and first saw this country, was much more urban. I woke each of the three days I was there to find the large “Slum Dog Millionare” sub-city to the left of my hotel bustling. Suave French-speaking professionals, backpackers, and women dressed in tight clothing but full hijab mixed in the streets and drank Italian coffee from shops that spilled out into the streets.

In DD we ate at a fine restaurant and saw the orphanage about which I have heard so much discussion. My father and I left DD via minibus. Loaded down with luggage we obviously looked like fresh targets. As soon as we got to the station, we were immediately surrounded by drivers who kept trying to take our bags, grab our arms, and yell at us. Dad yelled back just as loudly, demanding a direct trip and the “local” price instead of the more expensive fees for foreigners. They seemed to be surprised that he spoke Amharic enough to argue.

Once we were settled into a minibus, beggars and salespeople swarmed our windows. “Feed baby me sister! Buy chewing gum, miss?” until someone slammed the door shut and we were on our way.

The trip went almost straight up. We drove past schools where dozens of children poured out into the road, all dressed alike. We passed villages where women pumped water out of the ground next to stick and mud huts. There were camels, cows, goats, and donkeys. I stuck my face out of the window most of the ride and waved back at people yelling greetings.

Eventually, we reached a particularly poor and rough looking area. “This place looks pretty tough.” I said to Dad “Do you know it’s name?” It was our destination.

We were waved through onto the university grounds. Now I’m in the Resource Center where I will receive free room, board, and Internet until staff housing can be found for me. It’s a pretty sweet set-up. I look forward to seeing what happens next.

No comments:

Post a Comment