Tuesday 20 December 2011

Green Christmas

"It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas." I sing while dancing around with Miriam, a tiny baby. She's still underweight and for some reason the staff insist on wrapping her in at least three thick layers of clothing and a blanket, but she smiles.

We went to Dire Dawa yesterday to purchase a Christmas Chicken only to find that the shops were totally out. We'll be having Nile Perch instead.

Back at my house, I improperly reheat the beans my cook/maid left for me and make an interesting soup. The internet is working. I start volunteering at a new office at the university tomorrow. Life is good.

I miss my family. It makes me sad that even as I swayed around the infant room today there was not one holiday decoration. In fact, I don't think I've seen ANY holiday celebrations. My grandmother very sweetly sent us Christmas presents via DHL so we learned what she had sent because of the mandatory paperwork.

It is different. But where else can I we sing for the order of Mother Teresa's on Christmas Eve or have everyone tell us "Happy Christmas" but mean January 6th? Still, it would be nice if one person said "merry".

No comments:

Post a Comment