Tuesday 27 December 2011

Merry Forenji Christmas!

So we didn't go to Dire Dawa or sing for the nuns. It turns out that December 24th is the day of one of Ethiopia's biggest holidays: Nations and People's Day. So there were no buses for my choir. Here's the thing though: Our concert still rocked.

First we sang on the steps of the Administration Building, right in the center of campus. A small crowd gathered, filming us. Then a guard told us we had to leave. We sang "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" as we quickly walked away. We kept singing as we moved. An old man behind us clapped in rhythm while a younger man held his hands over his ears.

We stopped at the steps of a building between the nearby village and the center of campus and started singing in earnest again. The pastoralists who live in huts in the tall grass and care for the campus sheep came to watch us. During the call and response songs a group of men called back phonetically at our choir in each turn, imitating us with big smiles on their faces. My favorite moment though, had to be when a group of finely dressed Oromic dancers walked behind us. They did their traditional dance to our rendition of "Jingle Bells", waving their spears in unison. Everybody had a good time.


On Christmas Eve, I drank mulled wine and danced at friend's house. The top part of the evening occurred when the men realized that they could mix the dance to "Thriller" with their own traditional dances. It was a sight I doubt I'll get to see again.

I had my Christmas feast at a professor friend's house. She's from Cornwall and an excellent cook so we had authentic Christmas pudding at the end, with Cornish cream brought directly from England on top. She invited a family from the village over and they had a blast.

Afterwards, I went to an Indian professors house where we sang carols and tried her deep-fried treats. Her eccentric artist of a husband appeared and played festive polka tunes on a harmonica.

The didn't get many tangible gifts from this holiday season, but I got a ridiculous amount of intangible ones. It was difficult being away from my family, but I'm glad I got to see the holiday here. Merry Christmas everybody. And a happy New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment